Friday, September 5, 2014
Monday, September 1, 2014
Summer is drawing to a close, at least from a calendar point of view, there is no break in the weather around here although all things being equal we have had a pretty mild summer! Not surprisingly August became a run focused month with my training for Santa Clarita Marathon, starting on August 4. So the tally for the month went like this;
- 24 workouts in 28:02:27 for 180.61 miles
- Run 23 workouts 27:02:28, 161.99 miles…yes, there is no rounding up!
- Bike 1 workout 59:59, 18.62 miles
Obviously a significant bump in run miles, my previous biggest month this year was 91 miles so I am getting close to doubling it…yeah about that 10% rule!
In terms of the terrain for the month it broke down as follows;
- Road; 75.22 (46%)
- Treadmill; 18.82 (12%)
- Trail; 67.81 (42%)
Trail mileage in terms or a percentage was a less than I hoped for, I was really trying to stay above 50% . That being said I did have a great race at the Bulldog 25k. Week 1 was actually pre training plan which skews the numbers a bit but trail miles are trail miles!
September is really more of the same, three weeks of build and a step back week and the totals should be something similar to August.
Sunday, August 31, 2014
This week was a step back. It’s pretty standard practice to build for 2 – 3 weeks and then step back to rest and capitalize on the gains. The fact that it coincided with the kids going back to school and my Birthday was also a bonus and having the extra time during the week was nice.
So this is how it shook out;
- Monday. Off. With the Bulldog 25k on Saturday my Back to Back run was on Sunday
- Tuesday. 5 miles. Ran this as a pyramid. I am enjoying throwing in some simple speedwork like this and getting my splits into the early 7s is very rewarding
- Wednesday. 3 miles. Easy run on the Treadmill, I ran one of the built in runs. The first 15 minutes were uphill and the second 15 minutes downhill.
- Thursday. 5.4 miles. Another Pyramid, this time I was a bit more accurate than Tuesday’s run with the coming down splits!
- Friday. 3 miles. Easy run on the Treadmill
- Saturday. Off!
- Sunday. 14 miles. Knocked these out on the road as my next big race is actually a road marathon so getting some solid black-top miles is good for the legs. Also broke out a new pair of Kinvara 5s without any problems, my old ones had 240 miles on them, not bad seeing as I had predicted a life of 250 miles!
So no Trail miles this week, the split between the Road and Treadmill was;
- Road; 24.42 (78%)
- Trail; 6.80 (22%)
Back on the trails this week, I am hoping to get a chance to get out onto the Xterra Pt Mugu course which is 6 weeks away. This coming weekend’s long run is up to 16 so my mileage will be back in the early 40s.