Wednesday, December 3, 2008

T(P) minus 10 minutes

Ten days till Twin Peaks. In an attempt to get there in some state of rest (our 1 year old is working the night shift!) I am instigating the 10 minute rule; 10 minutes to bed earlier than the night before. The baseline is 11:00pm the end result should be that the night before the race I’ll be hitting the hay around 9:20pm, which is a good thing seeing as I am in the 5:00am start group, it could be worse I could be in the 4:00am group! The race is on a Saturday so I am heading there Friday night straight from work, I have booked my hotel, one less thing to worry about.

The Race Director is still looking for volunteers so if you’re in or near Orange County on the 14th and want to hang out with some ultra runners you can contact her here.

I am having some minor knee issues, I think I over-extended it last Thursday so I have been taking things easy, I biked Saturday morning with no issues but then spent all day at LegoLand topped and tailed with a four hour round trip driving probably didn’t do it any favors, so I am on a rest and ice regimen with runs every other day through to the weekend. Sunday I am running with my wife, a nice easy beach path run and again on Tuesday then I’ll be T(P) minus 3 days! Oh look at the time; nighty night!

14 comments:

  1. Enjoy the extra 10 minutes each night, great way of getting it! Hope the knee gets better soon too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO! "working the night shift" I hate when they do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was Lego Land that did it. :)

    You will be ready. Now you just need to get your 1 year old on the "early to bed" plan and your body will be well rested.

    Super excited for you!! 4am start is CRAZY but 5am is not much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. eeeck. yes, rest and ice. i've run some monster PRs after taking the week/s off before a race due to injury. my body likes to be well rested! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. eeeck. yes, rest and ice. i've run some monster PRs after taking the week/s off before a race due to injury. my body likes to be well rested! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you force the 1 year old to configure to the 10 minute to bed early thing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always blame aching knees and feet on driving, and I think I'm right-- it's not the running that hurts, it's the sitting. Hope your knee recovers quickly-- the extra sleep's gotta help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Working the nightshift, that is a good one.

    Hope the knee gets back to good b4 TP.

    If I lived in the OC, I would totally be volunteering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I lived closer, I'd volunteer!

    Have a great race and look after your knee!

    Gawd, if I used the 10 minute rule, I'd be in bed at 5:30pm...just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really thought about volunteering to give Jessica a hand, but I just have WAY too much going on that weekend.

    Good luck with the sleeping Stuart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck on the race, I will not be running this one but opted for February instead. Btw we still need to meet up for a Santa Monica mountain trail run.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could volunteer! Good luck with the race, you have trained hard!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck at Twin Peaks, we will be running the High Desert Ultra this Sunday.
    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take it easy over the weekend and the next week - and enjoy the taper! You're going to rock it next weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.