One of the joys of being a Garmin owner is the mass of data you accumulate through the year, although it can be a curse as well I suppose. After last Sundays shenanigans I wanted to compare myself to last year when I ran the 50k and PRd for the distance. Here’s a comparison exported into Excel and made to look purty!
So what’s the analysis? The easy things first,
- I was over 30 minutes slower running a shorter race which should have been at a faster pace
- My quick miles last year were not that this year, they’re in yellow!
Now the splits:
- 17 of the 19 miles were slower this year vs. last year
- 4 miles where <2 mins of last year’s mile times
- 11 miles were >2 mins over last year, 2 of which were >3 mins!
Ok let’s look at Heart Rate, green is average, orange is max per mile
- 9 miles had a higher average HR than last year –11 miles had a higher max HR than last year
- Those that were lower were also some of the slowest but also had the highest max
I also looked back at my training log for the previous 6 months 9/1/08-4/4/09 (right) vs. 9/1/09 – 4/4/10 (left) it looks like this, cycling on top, running below , :
Also and what you can’t see here is the recovery, this year I am really feeling things, last year I was running 50k and then running the next day, this year I am your classic next morning marathoner, something akin to an ironing board!
So what are my conclusions…well I am no expert but hmm, well what springs to mind here…base! 157% more base the year before, well it’s no surprise, October November and most of December of last year were a wash due to injury, January and February were spent working through a 10k plan and March was the first month of a marathon plan! So guess what's on my agenda…yep a solid summer of base building, and as much of it on the trails as I can!
I am looking at my fall agenda and building things out around the Eco Marathon and PCTR Pt Mugu races in November, it maybe back to the drawing board but I like to think of it as a clean slate to start from!