If you have ever seen a photo of me chances are I have earbuds stuck in my ears, I would like to think I am an audiophile but the truth is that I like to have a solid bass and no hiss! Yeah it’s not the safest thing to do but…well 2-3 hours doing anything needs some musical accompaniment. Up until a couple of years ago I was happy with the out-of-the-box Apple earbuds, then I discovered Sony Mdr-Ed12Lp, not the catchiest of names but these babies pack a punch and you can pick them up online for around $10, but there downside is that are susceptible to water, sweat, Cytomax; yeah I dropped an ear bud into an open handheld once! So when Sony hit me up to review there latest reincarnation of the Walkman I was in!
Now the truth is I am a bit late to the party on reviewing these; there are some actually pretty thorough reviews posted by other blogging buddies of mine including,
Frayed Laces; “Perhaps I just have abnormal ears”
ChicRunner; “I love this little guy”
Gretchen; “an excellent player for the gym or other low-impact sports”
Aron; “I would definitely recommend this”
So I am going to spare you the basics about the features, suffice to say it goes forwards and backwards. There are some nice touches that have not been mentioned in other reviews:
- It is iTunes compatible just drop and drag your music easy peasy, you can create playlists through new folders and then scroll through from the earset
- It comes with three sizes of earbuds so you can get a good fit; they’re really easy to change and you can mix and match to get the best fit possible
- The sound quality is really good, way better than the Apple buds and as good as my beloved Mdrs, deep rich bass and clear top notes
- The magnetic touch turns them off so as long as you close them you can save the battery, they also charge up really quickly approx 80% in 5 minutes from flat
- No cords, needless to say this is a total bonus
- Water…well sweat proof, yeah it’s getting pretty toasty on my lunchtime runs, today hit 98f
Of course there are a couple of downsides:
- Changing tracks on the fly is a bit tricky, you get used to it but it is a bit tricky!
- The fit, this is one size fits all, kinda, the loop that wraps round you head is one size and ergo if you’re an XL or XS cranium you could have issues…I am erring on the XL side
- One thing missing for those that run with a cell phone, these would be great if they were blue tooth compatible
- The earbuds, well here’s the kicker they rubbed the inside of my ear and for me that’s the deal breaker
Now just because they do not work for me does not mean they won’t work for you and thanks to Sony I have two pairs to give away to two lucky readers…and listeners I suppose!
So by now you know the form right:
Show some Facebook love will get you an entry.
Post about it on your blog will get you another.
Tweet “I just entered the @quadrathon win a @SonyElectronics W Series Walkman competition you can too http://tinyurl.com/4352l6h” and you can have three.
Finally let me know how many you entries you need by leaving a comment on this post for your fourth and I will draw a winner on Friday! Otherwise you can have a rummage in the garage for your old cassette player!