Monday, January 14, 2013

IMSG training Week 3

This is the last week of “prep”. My volume compared to weeks 1 and 2 is down but that is mainly due to the completion of the Tour of Sufferlandria over that period so it was only to be expected, I had to mix things up to fit it all in and I managed to fit it in with the exception of one yoga and one core session so it wasn’t all bad. I had a cold most of the week so the reduced volume was well timed as I felt pretty crappy on a couple of days.

There are definitely signs of improvement in the gym, now I have figured out a routine I can get through thing fairly cleanly. Tuesday night track club was pretty productive, 5x800s which I managed all within a 6:00-6:06 pace. Another cold swim at the new open air pool I am going to. California is actually having a winter this year after 3 years on nothing close to the cold we have had had recently. Temperatures are in the 30’s and only hitting 50’s during the day! And yes I know the rest of the country (northern hemisphere) is under 3’ of snow but well you know! A couple of early morning  Z2 trainer rides rounded things out!

image

Highlight of the week was winning a race entry into the 13.1 Los Angeles race from Billy over at LARunr, I had decided against this race to save some pennies so wining the entry made it even sweeter, the race is in its fourth year and I have now run all four!

image

So here are my deets for the week;

image

imageLike I said the volume is down, don’t worry this is about to change!

It was also the week to make a decision about what training plan to follow for the next 16 weeks for IMSG. Having cogitated over the Fitzgerald and Fiiel books in the end I decided to go with a plan from Beginner Triathlete, I followed their plan for IMAZ as I liked the structure. The Intermediate 16 week Plan is available through their Silver Membership (TriMag2013h for 30% discount) It’s described as;

This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan as it starts out with a good amount of volume in the first week and continues to build. The plan does have recovery weeks but even some of those weeks are still in the 12-14 hour range”.

That sounds about right, day 1 is a 7 mile AE run 5 miles at 20bpm below LTHR and a 4750 yard swim!

Onwards!

1 comment:

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.