- 4 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked grits
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream of Wheat is a great alternative to grits, but it does contain gluten
- Lightly coat a muffin tin or ramekins with nonstick cooking spray
- Bring water with a dash of salt to a boil in a saucepan over high heat
- Add grits, stirring frequently for 3– 4 minutes
- Remove from heat to add egg yolks
- Return to heat and simmer on low until mixture thickens, then stir in raw sugar and vanilla
- Pour cooked grits into muffin cups or ramekins and let set for 10– 15 minutes to firm up
- TIP Serve up your grits like crème brûlée: top with additional raw sugar and place under the broiler until the sugar turns brown. Let cool before handling, this makes them uber yummy!
They are roughly 110 calories each! Be careful they are a little slippery and can be easily dropped when on the bike! That will make you sad…and hungry!