Friday, November 21, 2008

Recycling Dean!

I just finished reading the new Dean Karnazes book 50/50. It’s taken me a while for several reasons; it’s not exactly a page turner, I’ve seen the movie, which in my mind is better and conveys more of the atmosphere of the event, I seem to be a state ongoing exhaustion so I am gabbing zzzs within 2 minutes of my head on the pillow and, to be frank, it’s not very well written. Let me qualify that last statement, the sub title of the book is: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 days- and how you too can achieve Super Endurance!, gosh that’s a big statement, even with a large spoonful of salt it’s a pretty medium sized claim, which, unfortunately, it doesn’t live up to or even close. The level of writing is too superficial. It does a good job of touching on a lot of topics; nutrition, training, racing, running clubs and many more but doesn't go into them in any depth or real detail. What the book does do is provide you with a series of doors that anyone interested in or has just started running will need to open and paths that need to be followed to find you own answers. Do I recommend it, well even after my criticism the answer is yes. It is entertaining and you do get an small insight into the Endurance 50 event, the logistics and the highs and the lows, most importantly you get a feel for the average runner who was able to get out an experience it for themselves; something that is much more reinforced in the movie see the trailer below which always puts a lump in my throat.

So should you go out and spend $20 on it the answer is no and with that in mind I will send my copy gratis to the first person who answers the riddle of my arm warmers post your answer in the Comments section. Acceptance is conditional that you write your review, as long or as short as you like and then you give it up for grabs on your blog.



..."my biggest fear was worrying whether or not I could finish it, but it was when I stopped to think about it the only way I would fail was if I didn't come out and try"...Anonymous 50/50 runner

17 comments:

  1. I was very let down by 50/50. I found the writing in Ultra Marathon Man a lot more inspiring. That being said, 50/50 is a great book for those wanting to start running, especially marathons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review. when i started running, this event was already done, and of course there wasn't much hype about it in Canada. I guess he's better at running than writing, cuz i found it good, but not what i was expecting either. Good luck again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I spent more than that last week to by that book when I went on that Fleet Feet run with him! I haven't started on it... yet. Thanks for the review, though. Not sure if I will start on it but for sure might watch the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me...I too have been going through this book at a glacial rate. Still on marathon #17 or something.

    Good luck on Sunday's ultra - will see ya there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more with your review. I'm reading it (struggling at times) now. Luckily I picked it up at my library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the video, thanks...Dean is not big in Canada, however, after reading 50/50 you have to really commend the guy for giving back so much to the community and kids...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Running with Scissors?

    It is dangerous you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got it Nick...it's on it's way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll wait for a copy to show up in the public library. On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate 50/50? and how would you rate the first book Ultramarathon man?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was interested in his book. I may read more runners book in '09. I may still get it if I can find it at a reasonable price. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this pretty quickly (I think in two days or so), but I didn't love it. I agree totally that it was a case of overpromise and underdeliver. Dean talks about learning to achieve super-endurance, but the advice is geared to a first time marathoner and really had nothing I haven't learned from basic running guides! Doing 50 marathons in 50 days is a very unique experience, and I would have much preferred to read tips for doing something crazy like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's great - running with scissors - HA!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks SLB. This book has been on my list of must reads. I've seen the movie, can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am too late..... :( How do I always miss the good stuff.

    Can hardly wait to get your race report...... come on man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the review! I was thinking about picking up 50/50...maybe I still will but I won't be in a hurry about it :) That's a pretty dope shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are awesome arm warmers!! Where are they from? I agree wholeheartedly with your review of the book. I think having seen the movie took away the thunder.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i have been reading this book for months and am still not through it yet (although i havent been reading much of anything lately). but i saw the movie too and loved the movie... the book is just kind of dragging on. i finally am at marathon 47 though so hopefully i can get it finished up soon!

    thanks for the review - i think you are spot on. the only thing i love about my copy is that its signed :) that was worth the $$ to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.