Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Local Wildfires; morning update

Quick update. As you may have seen on TV the Sesnon Fire, which is the one that is closest to us, doubled during the night to nearly 10,000 acres, to visualize that; an acre is roughly the size of an American Football field. There is zero containment and the winds reached 70mph during the night. They are forecast to ease later this afternoon. So far the evacuation area stayed at the same boundary as it was last night. There is an evacuation advisory for people living West of Valley Circle, which we do, my assumption here is simply that there is no vehicular access west of us, the road ends and becomes a trailhead and from there onwards is only acres of tinder dry parkland and my much loved trails. But so far for where we are nothing is mandatory.

When I left for work this morning at 6:15am the glow on the hillside seemed smaller than it was at midnight last night. As you would expect there is a large Police presence in the area and I counted at least 20 Police cars with sirens and lights on heading North as I was driving South on the 405 Freeway.

As you would expect there is plenty of coverage in the media, if you want to keep up with it I have found the using Google News and the keys words “Sesnon Fire” is the most expedient way.

Thank you all for you words of support, I am not a religious person but my thoughts and gratitude go out to the firefighters who are on the fire-line.

7 comments:

  1. From what I read this morning it seemed awful. People in your surrounding areas must stay in a state of worry.

    Please keep up posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I just called my parents (75 & 72 yrs. old). They had no idea.

    They think it's near the old Rocketdyne rec center on Roscoe & Victory?

    In any event, they have friends that live West of Valley Circle and are calling them. My nephew and his gf and son were evacuated.

    Stay safe! I'm wearing my visor for a 5 miler tonight! Safety SLB, and thanks for the update...Really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the governor declaring state of emergency down there, I'm imagining it's pretty bad down there. I hope you and your family keeps safe through all this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man o man :-( Thanks for the update. I'm thankful that you and the fam are ok still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's brutal. Hope you and your family stays safe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.