Thursday, October 16, 2008

Powerful words!

There are certain quotes sayings and mantras that populate the running world, in fact Runners’ World emails a daily quote every day if so wish and often as not you’ll see a well worn phase or quote taken from a famous runner; Steve Prefontaine, Haile Gebrselassie, Alberto Salazar and the like. Now these runners are far more eloquent than I, have a deeper rooted understanding of the sport and can, with the a semi casual comment stir a deep, motivational and primeval lust to simply lace up your shoes and go run, far and fast.

But there are other less widely known and used quotes that have an equal effect. This weeks TIaRT from Runner Lounge asks what is your favorite quote. Until I recently changed my masthead my favorite quote was listed under the name of this blog:

There is no such thing as an omen. Destiny does not send us heralds. She is too wise or too cruel for that” Oscar Wilde

For me this quote goes way beyond the norm. In these twenty three words is the simple notion that there is no predisposition, no salute, no assumption. Not knowing what lies ahead can be a scary thing but embrace that feeling, turn it to your advantage, use it to power you along on your journey. What these words tell me is that I can do what I set out to achieve; in the context of running, for me this is ultimately a 100 mile race, but for you that could be a 5k, a half marathon, or an Ultra.

I know I will need to push myself, yes it will be hard, yes it will hurt but if I really truly want it I can make it mine. And so can you.

6 comments:

  1. I the quite. I really like you blog. I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much to I love that... I like the horizon quote on your sidebar as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote and your interpretation of it. Thanks for sharing it!
    I get those RW daily quotes too. Some of them are quite good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That one is def a good one ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i concur...words are powerful indeed...now i have to checkout and see if you have facebook quotes...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.