This week’s Runner’s Lounge TIART is Life Lessons I have learned from running. Here’s seven; one for each day of the week:
1. Races are like vacations; always have short, medium and long term ones booked, paid for and looked forward to.
2. You have to know the lows to enjoy the highs; injuries, bad runs and crap weather are all somewhere in you future, let the downs highlight the ups: great, injury free runs on perfect days.
3. Enjoy the journey as well as the destination; you’ll cover a lot of miles as a runner so sometimes just stop and smell the roses.
4. Be flexible: metaphorically and physically; learn to be adaptable – life happens and don’t forget to stretch.
5. A change is as good as a rest; do you always go out the door and turn left, mix it up and turn right for something different.
6. You get good at what you do; be it running, playing the violin or hoping on one foot, practice makes perfect, be tenacious and stick with it.
7. Be like the horizon; you’ll be faster than some and slower than others, just keep moving.