Sunday, September 26, 2010

15:1

That was the plan for yesterday’s long run…yes run! No running for 10 days and basically absolutely nothing for the last week allowed me to finally shrug off my quad thing and so the plan was to basically run for three hours and see where it took me. The 15:1 strategy was run 15 minutes and walk 1 minute…and basically it worked out pretty well; at least until the sun came out! For fuel I had done bad runner math and had planned an hour out an hour back then 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back, but stupidly (of course) there was no-one at the hour out mark to replen me so I was dry for an extra 20 minutes until I hit a gas station and topped up with Gatorade, not ideal but better than nothing.

I got back home and refilled with proper sports drink turning around for the next hour without incident. Despite starting running at 6:15am, the sun was high by 8:30am and by 9:00am is was just plain hot, this weekend was a bit of scorcher, (the mercury in our garden thermometer topped out today at 135f, that’s gotta be wrong right!) and I was forced to walk a little extra in the closing 20 minutes to cool off!

When the three hours finished I had a little over 19 miles clocked up, so all things considered it wasn’t a bad effort and the strategy paid off pretty much, mentally I could have gone on some more.

image Yeah it’s not pretty but it’s done!

My heart rate and zones where up in the air but that’s not surprising…any way the long and the short of it is that I may be bumping the sides a bit but I am back in the training groove!