Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Road to Recovery...Pt 6 (The Sensor is dead, long live the Sensor!)

It is with sad and heavy heart that I have to write and report the passing of my Nike+ sensor. After performing a steadfast duty in both the US and UK, in rain and shine, on trail, treadmill or tarmac it has finally passed into that great recycling facility in the sky (well, the trashcan/bin in the corner of the kitchen). We accumulated over 1100 miles together, which I understand is above average (reports are they last as low as 500 and as high as 1500, so we’re pretty much in the middle). The good news is that Apple now sells a replacement sensor for $19 (plus shipping and tax etc) but it’s still $5.00 cheaper than buying a whole new kit. I got the early warning "battery low" message on Sunday, ordered my replacement Monday, the sensor died yesterday; my Birthday; is there a message there? The new one arrived 10 minutes ago.

So I only actually missed out on the data for one run; Sunday’s, which was an eight miler, bookended with a 0.6 mile down and up the hill from my house to the flat. Of course the “rechargeableGarmin 305 was there to pick up the Nike slack. Here's the Garmin graph, it was almost a there and back with a little loop to make the correct distance. I am not sure why there are the pace spikes along the way, I certainly was not sprinting. My body is starting to remember what this running thing is all about but it will take some time to get back to where I was pre-injury.

The good news is that I completed it pain free, the bad news is that my pace sucked; an average 8:50, still I have to remind myself that it’s all about just running for now and has nothing to do with running fast.

1 comment:

  1. Pain free, woopie! That's great to hear. I'm amazed at how long your sensor lasted. I'm on my third! I seem to only get about 5 months out of them.

    Hey, I love Project Runway, too! Such an awesome show, can't wait for next season!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.