Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Bigger Picture!

One of the features I really like about my Garmin Forerunner is the ability to create, download and view my runs using Google Earth. To do this you need to load your run (or bike or swim) into MotionBased. Once you have uploaded you file and named it etc, you simply go to the Inbox select the file and drop the “More Actions” menu and then select Google Earth KML (kml is the file extension), from here you are prompted to download and save the file, save it somewhere accessible; the desktop. The next step is to download Google Earth if you don’t already have it on your pc.

Google Earth comes in three flavors; a free basic version, Google Earth Plus for $20 which you’ll need as this version adds GPS support functionality and then a Pro version for $400. Google Earth is pretty feature rich with users uploading photos through Panaramio as well as places of interest; cinemas, churches museums etc and buildings including the Empire State Building, House of Parliament, Eiffel Tower, you can fly through the Grand Canyon, along the Danube or over Sydney Opera House. Of the multiple layers that you can lay over your image one I really like is terrain; I always get a real sense of satisfaction looking at the hills

Once you installed Google Earth and downloaded you files you simply launch them and enjoy the fly over of the route you just ran (biked, swam), here are a some screen shots from some races/runs:

The first quarter from the PCTR Pt Mugu 50k

Leona Divide 50 Mile Run

Greenwich Park & Blackheath in London

So as you can see there is lots of fun to be had, it's a easy way to while away an afternoon...trust me I've done it!

5 comments:

  1. Now that is really cool. I could spend countless hours mapping out run.

    You are a wealth of knowledge my friend!!!!

    How is the new job going??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The amount of time I waste looking at Google earth is really astounding. It's also kinda sad how if I go into airplane made it takes mere minutes to cover my entire ride that took hours. :(

    Nice write up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is cool.

    Need to look into this further. It's kind of a motivator to see what you have ran from virtual space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is VERY cool! LMAO, oohhhh did you really have to add the last sentence, Mr Technological Wonder ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's amazing! I just got my Garmin so I'm looking for tips like this :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.