Monday, January 2, 2012

Walter’s new adventure…

Really this was a slam dunk and this was exactly what I was hoping for, in case you missed the comment I have posted it below:

“I would love to adopt Walter as a gift for my husband, Blair. In 13 days he will turn 41. Four years ago, on the Monday after Thanksgiving, he saved his own life. He had gastric bypass surgery. Before surgery, his weight topped out at 420 pounds. The doctor told him that he would hit his goal weight in about 18 months. He did it in 6. He did this by completely changing his entire life. He did not just rely on that surgery to do the job for him. As soon as he could, he got up on a treadmill and started walking, a little at first, and a little more each day. He completely changed his diet. He realized his body was a machine and he needed to maintain it properly in order for it to work its best. Then, he started running. Within 3 months, he signed up for his first 8K. Watching him cross that finish line, tears streaming down BOTH our faces, is a memory I will cherish forever.

After that 8K, the running bug had him. 10Ks followed, half-marathons followed, marathons followed. And yes, he has done some triathlons. But that's where Walter comes in. The bike my husband has is, let's be honest here, pathetic. Our 5-year old daughter on a tricycle might be able to pass him in a race. But my husband pushes it as hard as he can, and does what he can to make up the time in the other sections. But I know what he really wants is a bike that will really help him not just finish a triathlon, but really compete in a triathlon. Each race he strives for a PR. And I know what he really wants is to compete in an Iron Man someday. But there is no way he can do that with the bike he has. And money is tight. My husband is an inspiration. As I wait for him at finish lines, I always turn to people and tell them his story because I am so proud of him. Our daughter loves to tell people that she is waiting for her daddy to finish his race. He is an amazing man, and I want him to have an amazing bike. It sounds like Walter is that bike. I truly hope you will choose us as the new adoptive family for Walter. I promise that he would have the best home. Thank you so much.”

Cullenivore drop me a line to quadrathon at gmail dot com  with you contact info and I will start to make the arrangement to get Walter ready for his next adventure!

2 comments:

  1. GREAT to read Walter will be going to a loving home and will experience new and wondrous adventures..make sure he sends you the odd postcard.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.