Wednesday, June 6, 2012

PCTR; RIP, the end of an era!

I saw this on Scott Dunlap’s blog post today…very sad news indeed. Lots of firsts, fun times and fond memories!

Just five days before the sold out Skyline to the Sea 50k event, Race Director Sarah Spelt posted on Facebook today that Pacific Coast Trail Runs is officially closing its doors. Here's what she posted today around 3pm PST:

"I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately. As many of you know, I have dealt with some very difficult obstacles these past few years which have taken their toll, in many ways, on me and on PCTR. Although they were exacerbated at the end of last year, I truly believed that PCTR could be turned around through the influx of money, the hard work of a few of us, and the support of my friends, but it just wasn’t to be. As a business, PCTR can no longer function.

I know that many runners/entrants will be upset with this decision, but please try to keep in mind that, for each of you, this is a race in your life, but for me, for over 12 years, this has been my life. Moving forward, I am hopeful that other RDs who are friends of mine will take over the upcoming events, and that those of you who have already planned to run will still be able to do so. Thank you for your understanding."

No mention of refunds, but some runners are rallying to do the course this Sunday anyway (and could use a few volunteers if you are in town).

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it is sad to see PCTR closing operations as I enjoyed their races years ago. I hope that refunds are issued so that a positive can come out of lots of negative events over the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so disappointed about this one because I have been training for the Headlands 100. Sucks for the RD to be going through stuff, but at least a return of our entry fees or some message addressing it would be good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.