Monday, December 31, 2007

That was the year that was...

As my bio states I have always been a runner sometimes off and sometimes on. The recent ‘on’ has been going since 2004, when after moving back from NYC to Los Angeles I decided that I really did need to loose those 45lbs gained in the big apple! So I laced up my shoes and headed out, 15 minutes in one direction and turn around, by the end of 2006 I had dropped 55lbs and was running 25 miles a week and could often be seen pushing my son in the stroller for our “long run” run on a Sunday morning along the beach path.

Well it was one year ago today that I set my sights on a 3:30 marathon; alas it was not to be. The closest I got was a 3:45:09, close but no cigar. However like the horizon as the year moved so did the goals, while I still harbor a desire for a 3:30 or better yet a Boston Qualifier (3:20) those targets, have for the moment, been replaced with lengthier ones.

The birth of this blog, in February, was as a result of a Nike+ challenge created by a fellow runner (Nike+ ID Snowcrash) called the Quadrathlon, four events; 1 mile, 5k, 10k and most miles accumulated during the month, with a scoring system designed to calculate the overall winner, the challenge is still going strong and celebrates its one year anniversary in January 2008. This blogs original purpose was as somewhere to post the results, however, it soon became my personal cathartic vehicle on my running adventures which are contained within these electronic ones and ohs.

So the summary for the year. I will spare you the high and low lights in any great length, but here’s a quick list, all of which are written about in excruciating detail in this blog:

  • Ran a sub 100 minute Half Marathon; 1:37:32 Wine Country Half Marathon
  • Completed first Marathon; 3:45:09 San Diego Rock ‘n’ Roll
  • Finished first Ultra-Marathon PCTR Pt Mugu 50k 6:54:07
  • Missed both my ‘A’ race; San Francisco Marathon and ‘B1’ race; Bulldog 50k
  • Ran and biked the equivalent of traveling across the continental United States; 1650 miles ran, 710 biked, total 2360
  • Was injured for ten weeks with ITB syndrome
  • Turned 40 and experienced the joy of the birth of our second son
  • Learned more about running, cross training, stretching, nutrition, hydration and running gadgets than I knew existed!
  • Made a ton of new virtual friends, many of which welcomed me and some I welcomed into the world of early mornings, late nights, intervals, fartleks, Garmin data, RSS feeds, splits, pace, results, successes and disappointments that we all run towards

Looking forward to 2008, my goals are simple to state but difficult to achieve but I know that my RBFs and the communities that I visit as well as my family and friends will be there to support me (and no doubt sometimes question my sanity) as I attempt them.

So as this year draws to a close, as they always do, I wish each and everyone of you a successful 2008 may your goals be achieved and your horizons a little closer.

9 comments:

  1. Very solid year! Especially with the injury.

    Now we just gotta get you converted over to the dark side...triathlons... ;) You've got two of the sports down, what's a little water added to the mix?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Simple to state but hard to achieve" that was well said!

    Well, it looks like you've come a long way in the past few years, so I'm sure 2008 holds wonderful running prospects for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    Congratulations on the most recent running transformation since 2004. You can tell from your writing that you're really happy with where you are at now and where you see yourself in 2008. Have a great start to 08 with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu rock! Holy Momma you had a great year! 2008 will be even better ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great year you had!!!!

    Here is to the best year yet... 2008.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers to a great year!!! So what will fill our 2008 days?? Excited just thinking about it.

    Injuries are the worst but I do believe that we come back stronger and smarter!!

    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of great accomplishments for the year. Cannot wait to see what level you take it to in 2008.
    This is the year to stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I had no idea that in the same year as your first marathon you did your first ultra. My running friends think I'm nuts that I have a desire to run ultras, especially considering my current injury. I believe one person's exact quote was "why would you want to ruin your body running an ultra?" You are pure inspiration. What an awesome year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Highs and Lows... that's what it's all about. As long as the Highs are in the mileage and the LOWS are in the times. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.