Monday, December 26, 2016

BWR Week 2

Week 2 in the bank. I looked at last week’s workouts and thought I could add a little extra this week to roll up to the 200-mile mark. There is something very satisfying see your weekly mileage start with a 2xx and quick mental math of 52x200 is a 10,000 mile year. I won’t make it this year and looking back across the months it is easy to see where more consistency would have made the difference but more on that in another post.

So this week was pretty much a repeat of last week. It’s inevitable with base training as you’re just laying down the base miles. This is a faster, more aggressive plan versus the Traditional Base which I have used in the past. Here is how it shook out.

Monday TrainerRoad Easy Recovery Lazy Mountain. 1 hour of easy, steady effort between 45-55% FTP.

image

Tuesday TrainerRoad Goddard Goddard consists of form work: 3x3-minute ILT drills10x30-second Form Sprints with 90 seconds of rest between each.Then, 3x2-minute round of ILT and finish with 2x6-minute Cadence Spin-Ups with 3 minutes of recovery between them.

 image

Wednesday TrainerRoad Holt Hill. Climbing Simulation.Holt Hill is 1.5 hours of Tempo intervals spent between 70-80% FTP with intermittent, 3-minute recoveries at 55% FTP.

image

Thursday TrainerRoad Monitor Monitor is 6x6-minute intervals of rolling Sweet Spot (88-94% FTP) with 2-minute active recoveries between each interval. I added an extra 15 minutes warm up this to get me moving.

image

Friday TrainerRoad Black @90% left pedal fritzing a bit. Rode single speed throughout, just adjusting my cadence to meet the power targets. Black is an hour of aerobic Endurance riding ranging from 50-80% FTP with no recovery.

image

Saturday TrainerRoad Maclure Switched tomorrow's ride for today, being on the bike on Christmas Day wouldn't win me any goodwill. Maclure consists of nearly 3 hours of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 60-70% FTP. Got a bit gritty in the end. Weekly accumulation is adding up. Again left pedal fussing. A battery change usually fixes this.

image

Sunday TrainerRoad Antelope. Added my 15 minute warm up to this as my legs were feeling tired from yesterday. Antelope is 5x10-minute Sweet Spot intervals ranging between 88-94% FTP with 5-minute recoveries between intervals. Struggled with this. Tried to ride on the drops or as relaxed on the hoods as I could. Was consistent but generally under powered. New batteries in the Vectors and there were no drop outs.

image

So a solid week,I broke through the 200 mile mark and ended up with a total of 202 miles and 11:18 on the bike. This was 10 miles more and 1 minute less than last week. No surprises there as last weekend’s long ride was outside and with lots of wind! Interesting though my overall TSS was down compared to last week by 50 points. I was able to capture my outside TSS using the Bluetooth Wahoo Dongle you can read about how I do that here. Nearly four on the road made all the difference, remember that I switched long ride days looking at the graph below.

image

This coming week will be interesting I am going to Neil Shirley’s Four Days to Fitness. Four days, four ride, over 300 miles! So that’s going to mess up my training plan but as I am off work it’s too good an opportunity to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.