Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Pun overload!

Golds There’s a scene in Friends where Chandler is overwhelmed by the jokes he could make about Joey. I felt he same way about the post title…so I chickened out. Tonight I joined a gym, Gold’s Gym…can you see what I mean! It was kinda weird watching people all exercising in a row, I’ve not been in a gym in over three years!

Now there’s a rationale here, it goes something like this. My pool closed..for renovation work…for a month! All is not lost, here’s the dealio, it actually costs in to join the gym, by my math, I am actually $40 a year better off as long as I go at least once a week and I get free sunbeds…err hello Southern California, but that is a third of a pair of running shoes!

There are a couple of side benefits I can work on general leg strength and it’s half a mile from my house; can you smell brick training. Obviously the main advantage and appeal was its pool; (who thought I would ever Ever EVER say that!) which while not very wide; 3 lanes! Is a bit too hot; 83f, is, I am assured, underused, two other swimmers tonight followed by class; one of two a week. So I managed to get in a quick for me 750 meters (820 yds) before I had to go but did manage to cover it 15 minutes faster than I could a scant 5 weeks ago! Progress indeed!

There is still a few hours to vote in the Haiku Gu contest…but it does look like a Frayed Laces sweep, I hope some of her followers stick around and follow me!

8 comments:

  1. They Gym...yes being in the outside running all the time it makes it a transition to see so many folks inside "working" out on a nice day...But it does have its place as my coach tells me..plus if you have one of those wading pools I have some WS friends that are trying to get me into some 2hr slow pool running efforts on Mondays as recovery...it sounds just dreadful but these are 22hr finishers so maybe it can work for me..have fun at the gym...Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, wonder what the title would have been if you didn't chicken out! I think it's great that you're seeking out a gym with a pool, so when is the first triathlon?? :D

    Btw, in response to your comment yesterday about snowboarding, I checked out the video. It does look like fun... and this year *might* be the year I try it since my son is really keen on snowboarding this winter, so we'll see lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the gym membership. I am in awe of your pool progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that episode - I will have to see if it is on Youtube. I like the gym. It is a nice break sometimes and I have started to love swimming. I also jog in the pool and lift weights. Variety is a good thing - although the variety of people at the gym can get a bit crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had a gym membership in years, so it would definitely be weird walking back into one. But, they certainly do have some benefits: Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have been without a gym membership for over a year now. after the shock of it all we settled into a pretty good routine at home...until last night. I signed us up for a membership for 6 months at a gym 4 miles from our house. Although it does not have a pool it has everything else and is very nice! Price for 6 months for a family membership..... drum roll...... $279.60. No lie! We are so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've become quite a swimmer. I'm very impressed! I haven't been in a gym in 10 years. Sounds like it may be more than worth it if you make use of it. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried Crossfit? I used to be a gym rat, now I'm hooked on CF!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.