Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Review; GuTR

image So a while back I reviewed VitalSox running and compression socks. Also inside the box I received was a GuTR. I looked at it with; I confess, a sideways glance, hmm! Not one to be rude it seemed only fitting that I actually try it out and so I did. I’ve worn it running on cloudy or dull days, for sunny days I confess I prefer a Visor. I’ve worn it under my bike helmet instead of a bandana and more recently I’ve worn it while hammering on my trainer in my garage in the wee hours!

But I am getting a little ahead of myself. But first a description. The GuTR is exactly that, it is designed to collect sweat before it runs down your face and into your eyes. It channels the sweat away from you face and allows it to run down approximately by your ears thereby avoiding that nice salty eye sting we all enjoy, yep been there done that! Fundamentally that’s it; there is an elastic loop that allows you to adjust the size depending on the size of your noggin!

So the question is does it work…well the answer is a simple yes and it works really well, well that’s a complicated answer but who’s counting! While running and cycling outdoors the sweat is efficiently channeled away and with the added wind flow it runs away nicely towards the back of your head. The place where it has been really working for me in on the trainer, when you’re less concerned about keeping an eye on the road and your gritting your teeth (or is that just me) when following along to a Sufferfest ride it works really well in (a) avoiding that constant drip running off of the end of your nose look and (b) avoiding all that salty fluid from pouring all over your expensive headset, stem, bike computer or bar mounted Garmin etc. The only thing you have to watch out for is when you sit up it may go backwards into your ears; it’s not going to do your earbuds any favors! I like products like this, simple and effective!

image Now as you have see I do have a lovely photo taken just this morning after riding the Sufferfest Revolver, but I am sure the ladies would much sooner see Mr. Matthew McConaughey wearing his!For the guys well, sorry it's just me or Matthew!

Available through multiple outlets the GuTR is available in several colors, clear/blue logo, clear/red logo, smoky black and camouflage, prices start at around $15.00.

Now while I don’t have any to giveaway I do have some VitalSox Compression socks, 3 pairs, small, medium and large. As if you didn’t need any reminders, here are the entry options, the more you do the more chance you get to win;

Following them on Twitter gets you one entry
Tweeting the competition gets you another, just copy and paste I just entered the @quadrathon contest to win a pair of @vitalsox http://bit.ly/cwy75E , include the bit.ly link, sorry only once counts; it gets too complicated keeping track otherwise
Joining their Facebook Page is your third

Come back and leave a comment telling me what you’ve done for your fourth and last entry and what size socks you want and I’ll make the draw on Friday, check out their website for sizing.

Good luck!

This product was provided free of charge by VitalSox. See previous gear reviews in the sidebar on the right. If you have a product you’d like reviewed, contact me at quadrathon@gmail.com.

13 comments:

  1. Huh, I've never even heard of this! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it comfortable? I could've used this this morning!
    1) I'm now following them on twitter.
    2) I also tweeted the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following you and @vitalsox.
    tweeted the contest entry.
    now leaving a comment.
    Please pick me! If you do, I'll need a size M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wondered if those gutr things worked.

    I did all three. I would be size L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following you and @vitalsox.
    tweeted the contest entry.
    Size L

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wear a size M and I am a fan on facebook and twitter.

    Sorry for being AWOL on the weigh in - rough weekend - no change for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd never heard of this either! It actually doesn't sound like rubber going across my forehead could be very comfortable...was it ok?

    Pretty cool invention though, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an odd piece of kit! I always wear a hat though as I'm follicley challenged so I don't know if it'd work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could actually use one of these. I sweat, ummm, profusely.

    The only queston - will I have another light strip around my forehead like the one on my chest where I don't tan because of my HRM strap?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to win a pair of VitalSox. Sounds like something I'd like to try. I joined their Facebook page. If I'm lucky enough to win, I'd like the size medium. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. stuart, I think you look hotter than Matthew!

    I am a sock freak! I love socks and new ones that help my feet feel better would be a HUGE plus! I've never heard of them-so thanks for the review and the giveaway!

    I tweeted the contest and will now go follow them on twitter and facebook....

    ReplyDelete
  12. What does it feel like having the sweat draining off your head all in one place? How tight is it? It is a bit silly looking.... would you really wear it without a hat or something covering it up?

    Just wondering....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.