Thursday, September 3, 2009

Plan B!

Firstly a thank you to everyone for the commiserations (is that the right word?) on the cancellation of the AC100 entry and to those of you who made suggestions. To be honest after I read about it I was a bit numb and spent a day just letting it sink in. As an update on the fire, it appears to have been a case of arson, if caught the arsonist will also face homicide charges for the death of the two firefighters, more is being revealed as the days go by. As it stands 145,000 acres or about 226 sq miles have burnt making it the largest fire recorded in Los Angeles county. Right now it’s about 30% contained. I have heard that 75% of the AC100 course has burnt and it looks like the Mt Disappointment, a 50k/50m race course has also suffered, these are both is to be confirmed.

And so on to more cheerful news. Having scurried about the internet I came up with a couple of alternatives of which one was the Javelina Jundred in Arizona in October, this race was sold out but the RD opened up 50 places, this would have been a great alternative and I would have been able to run with another blogging bud, Nick but the timing sucked. There was Cactus Rose in Texas and Superior Sawtooth in Minnesota neither off which leapt of the page at me, and then through the power of Twitter, somebody (thanks Lori) suggested 100 in the Hood in Oregon. A bit of research, including an email to the RD, Olga whose, blog 'Run More Talk Less', I have read for the last year or two and who herself just complete the Hardrock 100, with some questions including; what weather can I expect? To which I got the answer:

The weather can be about anything. If we hit Indian summer, it is 80F during a day and 50 at night. It might get as low as 50 in daylight and 30 at night. It won't be hot. Most likely it won't snow, though one year it did in September. How is that for an answer? :)

So much for that heat training then, looks like I might need thermals! Anyway a couple of calls later and a chat with MsQ in the evening and, well, Oregon here I come. I just need to finalize all my travel arrangements and I’ll be off the weekend of the 26th, just one week later than AC100, to spend some quality time on the Pacific Crest Trail. If you're local stop by. You can check out some of the course photos here.

And so the adventure continues…

15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found an alternative race and this one sure sounds like a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad everything worked out. I guess I'll have to settle for a run with you in your 'Hood come November.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes plan B turns out to be the real adventure!! I think no matter what you had decided it would have been great.

    Still, I must say that you are missing out on a lot of "home brew" from nick. Just sayig. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay!! i'm glad you found a backup plan and one that won't be so darn hot! good luck stuart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flexibility is a good thing. I like Olga. She's a good one....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent choice! I just ran the Hood to Coast relay and you will not go wrong with this race. If you stay in Portland be sure to grab a pint at the Lucky Lab on SE Stark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you found another race. That area of the country is so beautiful. I heard about the arson and I thought about you. It is one thing to have nature take its toll and another if someone started the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, that didn't take long!

    Good for you to shift gears so well. If Olga's involved, the race will be awesome. And it's hard to beat Oregon for trail beauty.

    Good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you found a Plan B. What a drag to have your race canceled.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad things worked out for you and oregon will be gorgeous! You will kill it Stuie and I can't wait to see how everything turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great news, Stuart. Hope you have a great race. Can't wait to read the race report. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a bummer that you had to go to Plan B, but good that you had one available.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a tragedy what's happening in CA. It's SICK. Glad you found another race- and that's a beautiful one. (I'll make it happen with the XTs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. (Hmm - I swear I posted a comment and it disappeared....)

    Anywho- It's SICK what's happening in CA. Glad to hear it's getting contained. Makes me nauseous- all that destruction for naught.

    On the happier note - the Hood run is beautiful, beautiful. I'll make it happen with the XTs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i was SO sad when i saw that race was cancelled, but i am SO happy that you were able to find another race!!! sounds like it will be a beautiful race too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.