Sunday, September 13, 2009

Snotrockets, schedules and social media...

Well as noted in the last post I picked up a cold, from where who knows, probably something that was brought home from kindergarten, out youngest turned into a 3’ ball of snot, my wife had a killer sore throat and had the good old fashioned aches, shivers and a decline in the pitch of my voice which has me sounding like Orson Wells! Strangely it totally missed our eldest The cold is on it’s way out now which is good, clearly a side benefit of all this training is a pretty healthy immune system and an energetic army of white blood cells that descend on anything resembling something nasty and beat it into submission within a few days, I only took two days off both of which had me in bed by 9:30pm!

The end result was everything got switched round; I snotrocketed my way along the beach path for an hour Friday night, then I rode my bike Saturday for 21 miles, and managed to shave 4 and bit minutes off my usual double loop time resulting in just over 1:15 on the bike, then in the spirit of multitasking I decided to run to the local garage who had had our SUV in for some work to pick it up and drive it home. My transition needs some work, but whatev’, and I was back out on the road about 3-4 minutes later. I felt like I was running through treacle, with no pace and running in cycling shorts while not being as bad I thought it would be was not comfortable, the garage was only 2 miles away and when I got there I found car locked, they were supposed to leave the keys under the seat, I about faced and ran back. I walked the last 300 yards or so to cool off.

Despite feeling like I was running with my shoes laces tied together I still managed to cover the 3.8 miles in 30 minutes, my average pace, 7:55, was a huge surprise to me! I realize this is nothing really for all you triathletes out there but I was left with a huge smile on my face as the last three months have really only been about the long, longer and longest runs.

And so that bring us to today I have a 12 miler scheduled for tonight which shouldn’t be too much of an issue. This coming week, if I can keep it all together, my longest run is a 9 miler and I have some cycling and yoga as well, the following week is even less and then Friday morning I fly to Portland.

In other news I have a crew member and a pacer for 100 in the Hood! A Nike+ buddy and a Twitter buddy are going to crew me for the race and pace me for the last 25 miles. I am grateful beyond measure and just blown away by the generosity of people who I know online through forums, blogs, Facebook and Twitter but have never met in person! Once again social media to the rescue!

Finally and following the social media theme I had the privilege of being interviewed last week for the Runner’s Lounge website/blog so if you still have unanswered questions about little old moi you may find an answer here.

10 comments:

  1. I love the phrase "snotrocket". Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Portland is so close! At least you got sick now instead of then!!!

    I don't know why, but the word snotrockets makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go on the brick! i sooooo need to work on that too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No time to get sick now. Glad it's getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that you were ill, but it sounds like you recovered quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you guys are on the mend AND getting this out of the way early :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. enjoyed the interview last week! glad you are feeling better and hope everything is fully cleared up by next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome interview :) hope you're feeling better soon, and that's great news about the pacer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.