Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My 40 hour week!

I have said it before…lot’s of times; I am useless at going to bed at a reasonable time, I seem to become one with the sofa until such point when I really wish my superpower was teleporting! Unfortunately it’s not!

Now here’s the thing when I get so tired that I am forced to have an early night I actually feel good the next day!

Now there’s a lesson in there somewhere right!?!

It’s not rocket science that sleep is important, from “How to sleep like an Olympic Athlete

….the question is, how can we sleep like an Olympic athlete?

"Eight hours of sleep is the standard," says Mednick. "There is a range, but 7.5 to eight hours of sleep is the optimal amount."

And from Peak Performance;

What's known is that sleep can be divided into five distinct stages. Stages1 through 4 represent non-rapid-eye movement sleep; during a normal night of sleep they are usually followed by the well-known REM or rapid-eye movement stage (stage 5). Stages 3 and 4 produce brain waves which have a slow frequency; these stages are thus called 'slow-wave' sleep. Sleep scientists reckon that during a night of normal sleep, REM and non-REM sleep repeat in cycles of about an hour and a half, although age and the amount of prior sleep can alter this pattern.


Slow-wave sleep is critically important for athletes, because it's the portion of the night when
growth hormone is released from the pituitary gland at the base of the brain. Growth hormone stimulates muscle growth and repair, bone building, and fat burning, and is thus one of the key hormones which help athletes recover from tough workouts and improve physiologically. Studies show that when an athlete loses sleep, growth-hormone release diminishes. This may be a key reason why extended sleep loss can harm performance.

Well I am no Olympian but in the spirit of self discovery I am going to try and get 40 hours of sleep during the week, that’s 8 hours a night! Monday night, check!

Tuesday night, well, G’night!

11 comments:

  1. I've read about the importance of sleep for athlete's but haven't taken it to heart other than those post long run naps. Good food for thought for sure. Good luck on your 40 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until just now I would have been quick to say that I get 40hrs or more a week BUT after some quick math I realize that I am just under it. Looks like I need to fix that right away :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is soooo true and it is something I am awful at!! It is kind of nice to know I"m not the only runner who doesn't go to bed at 9 PM!!!! Good luck w/ the 40 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sleep... I'm lucky to get 7 a night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a firm believer in sleep, especially before a race. It can really make a big difference. Especially in an ultra when one might be slightly under-trained!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gift and a curse - I get my 8 hours of sleep but I can't stay up much past 9:30 ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I fail at sleeping! I think I am the worst sleeper in the world! I think I need to take up this challenge as well and attempt to get 8 hours of sleep a night. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you got some sleep -it does help! I may have to think about changing my clips based on your prior post. I have SPD

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loooove to sleep. Not sleep in late, but go to bed early. After a good work out it feels soooo good. Good luck with your new plan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sleep is over rated!! lol Good luck with your quest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If my math is correct, 7x8= 56...40/7= ~6 hours per night.

    Not to split hairs...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.