Monday, September 10, 2007

The Road to Recovery...Pt 9 (Bell curves, pace and shoes)

Last week went well; in fact it went very well. Three good runs, 7.27, 8.25 and 11. 84 for a total of 27.36 miles; that’s over double my total mileage for August and puts me on target for a 100+ month, less than half my peak of 238 miles in April but a start. I am still restricted to running on the flat and that means walking up and down the hill to my house but that does mean that all my graphing gives me a nice bell curve, (and yes, the time is correct 5:31am) although it throws of my pace using Nike+, that's one advantage of a Forerunner; it provides a greater depth of analysis and as a standard will record the distance (mile) splits and allows you to create additional spilts - such as walking up and down hills.

My pace is improving, around 8 minute miles for the shorter distances and 8:45 for the long run, an improvement of nearly a minute a mile from two weeks ago and all pain free. I am now running full time in my orthotics and wear them all day every day, in fact the one day I forgot to switch them into a different pair of shoes I felt out of balance…just goes to show!

After a long discussion with the folks at Road Runners, I have ordered a pair of Asics Kayano 13s as they should offer a little more cushioning and last a little longer than the 300 miles that I average out of my Asics 2120s. I get a 60 day trial on them to see if they could be new shoe for me.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, SLB. Your patience is really paying off. Do you think you'll make any Winter races?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it's been a long journey with many lessons learned along the way. As for Winter races I hope to get a couple of 10ks and maybe the Long Beach Half Marathon in October, I have also been eying up the Xterra SoCal series. My targeted 50k for February; The Twin Peaks 50k is full, so I am looking at the Calico 50k but I just don't know if I want to drive the 400 miles roundtrip! I may just end up jumping into the Leona Divide feet first, so to speak!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.