This was the list from this time last year…let’s have a look shall we…
- Keep it real, fun and with the family! – kids ran their first mile race and then went onto a 5k, that’s a long way when you are 3 years old, good use of the walk/run methodology!
- Drop 20lb and get back on the good food bandwagon – currently 17lbs down and actually hit the 20lb lost mark in the fall, gained a few over Christmas
- Pick up 4 minutes on my 10k and 7 minutes on my Half Marathon – didn’t race a 10k but dropped a good 2 minutes off of my 10k PR of 44:01 during raining runs. I did shave 30 seconds from my 5k getting closer to 19 minutes flat. I killed my HM PR and went sub 1:30 and took 13 minutes from my marathon PR with a 3:32, although I missed my target and BQ. I also restamped my Ultra Runner Passport for the first time in 2 years!
- Plan the work…then work the plan – went with the FIRST plan for the HM and nailed it!
- Consistency is king and that's where the results live - first half of the year was a mess, managed to get my shit together for the second half and finished December really strong!
- Cross Train; I got the bike now I need to use it! – yeah plenty of bike miles this year!
- Do the good stuff I am supposed to; foam roll, stretch, yoga etc – hmm yeah about that!
- Transition to Mid/Forefoot – spent 6 weeks being very deliberate in transitioning to mid foot, I am in Newtons full time now and I attribute this change to my results
- No new kit in Jan, Feb or March! – I think I managed this but I am sure I made up for it in the other 9 months!
- Sleep…get more than I get now! - total fail!
So as for 2012, I has my race schedule pretty much locked down, there will be a few more events that will be added, some shorter races and longer bike rides; Centurys and the like. Goals for the races will unfold with the training so here is a list of non “race” goals:
- Bi-lateral breathing, I had convinced myself this was impossible but having swam 500 yards doing it this week it seems much more possible
- Swim Swim Swim, once I have this figured out swim some more!
- See # 7 above
- See #10 above
- Work more on my diet, and periodize to reach racing weight on race day
- Become a better cyclist; stronger climber and more confident descender
- Be a better bloger; both as a writer and reader, this year I slacked off on both!
will(no point setting myself up for failure) am going to try the keep the kit to a minimum although as it has been pointed out to me; triathlon is Greek for wallet rape!
- Do it for the kids, my eldest is off the training wheels and has a new bike, maybe I can get him to work on his swim and run too!
- Enjoy the journey, smile and have fun…it’s all to easy to take all this way too seriously!
Happy New Year!
Fireworks in Ink from karlo benson on Vimeo.