Sunday, January 9, 2011

Retul, rants and angles!

I finally, (I say finally simply because I have been asking since December for it, really how hard is it to send an email and when I pay $250 for something I expect some level of service that does not involve me nagging), got my Retul report. This is a bit of a rant but the reality is my takeaway from Franco Bikes is that while they, specifically Julian whose name is above the door, really knows his bike stuff and whose bikes are really nice, the customer experience is pretty bad, and that’s a real shame because as a small custom shop he needs all the word of mouth recommendation he can get! Ok rant over!

So this report contains all the measurements taken by the motion based camera.

image

The idea here is that I can take these into any shop and be fitted accordingly. It is interesting to a point but to be honest it’s information overload. One thing that I was asked by Sean in NY was about the Knee Forward of Foot…now I was told that this is for optimum power transfer from the rotation of the pedal into forward motion. WTF? Ok disclaimer time; I am no expert here…nor do I play one on television. Firstly as best I can tell this is a variation on KOPS (Knee over pedal spindle) whereas a plumb line from your patella (knee cap) would line up with the spindle of the pedal axel, now there are arguments on this as an “golden rule” as in it is always true. See here for Pro and here for Against. It makes obvious sense that if you are drastically behind your power output is compromised and I am sure the same would be said if you were too far over. This can also be affected by the seat being too far forward or too far back, there are a lot of variables at play here.

Here are some examples of what I talking about and the photo I posted last year with the KOPS angle highlighted in green…it’s off right, you see I am behind!

image

image

Picture2

As you can see there is a real science to it all. Now that being said, the qualitative variable is feel, you may be optimally fitted but just plain uncomfortable. I am still tweaking mine even after 300 miles, in fact I have lowered my seat 1cm since being refitted, this pushed my knee forward, opened the knee over axel angle and close the torso to arm angle which makes me less efficient but it’s more comfortable and that’s what counts…in my opinion!

PS I totally missed Sean’s question, so if you have asked me something and haven’t gotten an answer either in a post or email just nag me and I will get back to you…sorry again Sean!

7 comments:

  1. I have no idea what all that means, but if it feels good and doesn't hurt, I think it must be a good thing! And I agree, customer service is important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly something I need to learn more about...where to start? My bike was fitted at the bike shop when I bought it (Trek), and it feels right, but I wonder about it (especially when I get passed by others who seem to be going so fast with so little effort...) Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! This makes a ton more sense to me now. Enjoy that sweet new ride of yours. Thanks Stuart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was fitted on my tri bike at the beginning of 2010 and my fit guy was AMAZING and super helpful. If you ever decide to get fitted again.. or need to recommend someone.. send them to Jim Manton at Final Fit (www.finalfit.com). He's amazing.. and he LOVES fitting triathletes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post Stuart. But it makes me wonder. How close you would have been to perfect fit without the $250 spent? Just askin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the link as the "against". I do so love to stir things up. The article is not strictly against KOPS, more it is about how people have determined KOPS to be a rule when it was never scientifically proven. KOPS can be correct but is more commonly just simply close and seems to work for most people within a narrow range of frame geometry. Qualified professional fitters like myself or Jim that was previously mentioned have spent years with thousands of athletes on their bike fits and the one universal is that KOPS is as accurate to a fitter as 220-Age is in determining Heart rate zones.

    The other point I have to commment on. If your bike position is uncomfortable and your still tweaking it, then it was most certainly not optimum. For a position to be optimum then it has to be sustainable (comfortable), same goes for effeciency.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off the report you posted will not help anyone set up your new bike, it just tells you how well or not well you fit your bike, there is another report you should have received after the fit with bike measurements. Is this a Mt. bike or road bike? It make a difference on what these numbers mean. First your seat is too low, the heel of your foot is not moving enough. Now as far as the Knee Forward of foot for a road bike you are okay it should read (-10)to 0 mm if its a mt. Bike you are too far forward for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.