Wednesday, October 31, 2012

psst wanna buy some Oakley sunglasses?

Alternative titles “Shady Shades”, “Fakebook” or “Jokelys”!

Like a billion other people I have a Facebook account, I don’t use it that much, I was a fairly early adopter, my account was born October 2007, a mere 13 months after it was launched public wide…it seemed so quaint back then!

But I digress, as many of you are pretty internet savvy I am sure you have seen those Sponsored ads on the side of your Facebook feed and wondered “hmm really Oakleys for $29…scam…or not?!?!”.

image

Well I did too and now I have in my hand a pair of Oakley glasses! But first I did some homework…

I looked around the vendors website…looks legit right I highlighted the suspect things… I especially  like the Hotmail account, I mean who uses Hotmail these days!

image

image

Then I did a search for the “parent company”…again this all seems kosher!

image

image

Just to double check I did some research on the acquisition of Oakley, this seems like a bona fide claim!

image

So I had a look through their catalog and I hit the button and purchased a pair…through PayPal, I mean who else would a multi billion dollar company use for merchant services…no offence PayPal!

image

And lo and behold about 10 days later I got a box of genuine made in America Oakley Jawbones from…China!

I’ll be honest and say my expectations were pretty very low and they were met, trust me had these been real I would have been writing all about that! The quality is shocking and as anyone who has a pair of Jawbones knows they open to accommodate different lenses etc., these are solid framed, this is the real Oakley website; 

image

The list goes on and suffice to say they are not Oakley Sunglasses…YEAH SHOCKA!!!.

image

As a follow up I reached out to Facebook, Oakley, Luxottica and NPR’s Planet Money…I’ll keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. LOL. What the researcher! Interested to hear if you get any follow up from the real companies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate you sharing this message! I've been looking for some really nice Oakley's, but I haven't had success. This gave me some great insights though, and I couldn't be more grateful.

    http://www.theeyeglassfactory.com/eye-wear/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.