Wednesday, October 31, 2012

psst wanna buy some Oakley sunglasses?

Alternative titles “Shady Shades”, “Fakebook” or “Jokelys”!

Like a billion other people I have a Facebook account, I don’t use it that much, I was a fairly early adopter, my account was born October 2007, a mere 13 months after it was launched public wide…it seemed so quaint back then!

But I digress, as many of you are pretty internet savvy I am sure you have seen those Sponsored ads on the side of your Facebook feed and wondered “hmm really Oakleys for $29…scam…or not?!?!”.

image

Well I did too and now I have in my hand a pair of Oakley glasses! But first I did some homework…

I looked around the vendors website…looks legit right I highlighted the suspect things… I especially  like the Hotmail account, I mean who uses Hotmail these days!

image

image

Then I did a search for the “parent company”…again this all seems kosher!

image

image

Just to double check I did some research on the acquisition of Oakley, this seems like a bona fide claim!

image

So I had a look through their catalog and I hit the button and purchased a pair…through PayPal, I mean who else would a multi billion dollar company use for merchant services…no offence PayPal!

image

And lo and behold about 10 days later I got a box of genuine made in America Oakley Jawbones from…China!

I’ll be honest and say my expectations were pretty very low and they were met, trust me had these been real I would have been writing all about that! The quality is shocking and as anyone who has a pair of Jawbones knows they open to accommodate different lenses etc., these are solid framed, this is the real Oakley website

image

The list goes on and suffice to say they are not Oakley Sunglasses…YEAH SHOCKA!!!.

image

As a follow up I reached out to Facebook, Oakley, Luxottica and NPR’s Planet Money…I’ll keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. LOL. What the researcher! Interested to hear if you get any follow up from the real companies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate you sharing this message! I've been looking for some really nice Oakley's, but I haven't had success. This gave me some great insights though, and I couldn't be more grateful.

    http://www.theeyeglassfactory.com/eye-wear/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.