Saturday, August 18, 2007

The road to recovery...Pt 4 (Stretch, strengthen & punk rock)

This is the end of Week 2 of Physiotherapy. My PT says that it’s going well but my IT band is putting up a good fight. My therapy has built up from a base of 30 minutes of stretching three times a day, specifically my hamstrings, quadriceps and glutes from week one and now includes strength training concentrating on my glutes and quads. I am fortunate to have a lot of the “tools of the trade” around the house; swissball, ankle-weights, floor mat and a stretching band etc, it's amazing what you accumulate as you go!

I am still banned from running and so I am concentrating on cycling: with a long ride at the weekend currently 40 miles and then a short speed circuit of 10 miles, (increasing to 15 next week) three times a week. In addition each session I am getting deep, and I mean really deep tissue massage, suffice to say; if you think of massage as scented candles and soothing pipe music, this treatment would be accompanied by the stink of fresh asphalt and the roar of the Sex Pistols!

I have my orthotic fitting next Wednesday and I hope to return back to some form of running next weekend...watch this space.

1 comment:

  1. "In addition each session I am getting deep, and I mean really deep tissue massage, suffice to say; if you think of massage as scented candles and soothing pipe music, this treatment would be accompanied by the stink of fresh asphalt and the roar of the Sex Pistols!"

    This cracked me up! I'm always trying to convince my massage therapist to turn on the lights and turn off that annoying music. The things that massage therapists think are relaxing make me tense. Asphalt, bright lights and the Sex Pistols would probably put me at ease! I visited an ART therapist, and thought that was great, but it was a 50 mile drive from my house. I'm back to stretching and using The Stick. It fits my budget and my calendar.

    Good luck with the therapy. I'm looking forward to seeing some new run graphs :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.