Sunday, May 22, 2011

Getting it done…

Three solid weeks of base training and one to go before the month is out and I start training proper!


image


Run week and bike weekend


image


Bike week and run weekend


image


Run week and Sunday and a bike on Saturday



Still lacking a little in consistency apart from the last week.


Right now I am enjoy the hospitality of Ottawa, Canada, but working on Pacific time which means I stay up late and then get up early-ish and can run for an hour and be back in time to start work at 8:00am, it kind of works!


Yesterday’s ride was unorthodox as I rented a hybrid and toured around the city and out into the Gatineau region which is a large park:


image My steed for the day!


I ended up a little lost and was helped out by two local ladies who demonstrated that famous Canadian friendliness and who got me back on track and took me up a nice climb where I was treated to the view below, the lake is named after a family who settled nearby rather than its color!


imagePink Lake


As we rode out of the park I realized there was a bike race so I decided to loiter and watch a couple of the laps, it was 11 x 9km loops so I watched a couple of loops, aware that I needed to get my bike back in time.







image image

Up close and personal….and then aerial from the freeway bridge


Today’s run was a little test of my pace as I put down a 8 miler with 4 miles at tempo pace:


2m warm up; 8:18, 7:52
4m tempo; 7:47, 7:34, 7:36, 7:47
2m cool down; 8:16, 7:45...oops!


Not the fastest 8 miler I have run and I will need to drive those 7’s down to hi 6s to get to my target 1:30 Half Marathon


So as the month wraps up I will transition onto a 3 month training plan using the FIRST method which I have used successfully for training for a 10k last year where I shaved off nearly 4 minutes…this year I need to shave nearly 8 minutes over double the distance! Doable…let’s see!

1 comment:

  1. I will be most interested to see how you do the second time around using the FIRST program. You results last time where great!

    Watching cycling events get me so eager for riding and racing. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.