Monday, May 11, 2009

Night Running!

So the plan had been to get up and out early so I could be back to offer MsQ a well deserved Mother’s day lie in however our scheming kids had their own plans and they were equally early…we’re talking before 6:00am. So running shoes off and with hushed tones we hung out till we were all awake and headed out for a nice brunch. Come 8:00pm I was putting my running shoes back on and telling my wife, whose face was agape, that yes I was running on the trails, yes I had a torch; two in fact and yes I would leave a map of were I was going and call here when I got back to the car.

Night running on trails is, in my mind a lot of fun; cooler, quieter (apart from the critters) and the fact that you can’t really see where you’re going takes the sting out of some of the hills! It's also something I am going to have to get used for AC100 as I will be running through it for a long time! The plan; as it was, was to run there and back again which should be somewhere between 8-10 miles and so I drove to the local trailhead and set off, no iPod but merrily keeping myself company by recording my podcast as I went.

The run was pretty much uneventful, I managed to freak myself a couple of times thinking I was being followed, if I was whatever it was jumped into the underbrush as fast as I could turn around, there was the stupid bird that I nearly stepped on who was sitting in the middle of the trail minding his own business, and a small incident involving a low flying bird or bat which had me waving my arms around like an over enthusiastic runway controller! Still ninety minutes or so later I was back at the car and calling my wife.

A most excellent run! Here's the MotionBased data and some more photos.

12 comments:

  1. Yikes Stuart - that's nutty! I've yet to experience running on trails at night but I can imagine how jumpy I'd be. It does sound like a ton of fun...er, if run with a group or in the middle of a race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! Theoretically, I've always wanted to try night running but can't quite work up the nerve. I don't know that I would be worrying too much about people following me (I am out in the relative boonies) but think I'd be tripping and falling all over the place, much as I do during the day, but worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, i'd be jumpy too, and would probably run faster than my body can just to get it over with! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a brave man. But, you are right. You need to get that practice in. Good for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's crazy how many little critters sound like big bad monsters out there in the dark when you're by yourself. Nice job to get out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that would freak me out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love running at night on trails, I need to get out on trail more

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did a night run once but with 2 other guys and I still almost peed in my pants when I heard coyotes! You're tough!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think running on trails at night would freak me out a bit! Kudos for you for getting it done, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like it would be fun, but scary at the same time! sometimes in the very early morning I get creeped out and think someone is following me and I am not even on a trail! lol glad you made it back in one piece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even with a light I'd be afraid of faceplanting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.