Sunday, June 30, 2013

Review; Saucony Kinvara 4s

This review is a bit overdue but then my blogging this year is a bit hit an miss. Anyway on with the show.

image
So the good folks at Saucony sent me an early release pair of Kinvara 4s back in April, they went on general release in May and now I have about 100 miles on them so it seems like a good time to post my thoughts. I have run in Kinvara 1s and 2s so I had a fair idea what to expect and these shoes well and truly exceeded my expectations.

The big change is in the sole, runners who are familiar with the earlier versions will understand what I mean when I say that after a while they felt a bit flat, Saucony have addressed this by changing the heel compound from ProGrid to PowerGrid which is more resilient than the previous version, they have retained the consistent triangle sole grip pattern. Additional updates also include an improved upper with “FlexFilm”, carried over from the Kinvara 3s with a nice toe bumper, the FlexFilm is very light and breathable. In terms of fit, there is a roomy toe box and solid fit around the heel. Personally from my triathlon experience I switched out the laces and put in some Yankz, they are my go-tos now.

They ride is light (7.7 oz. / 218 gm (size 9)) and easy, they soak up the sidewalk without any issues, and for me the 4mm heel to toe drop (22mm heel and 18mm toe) allows me to maintain a comfortable midfoot strike. As mentioned they are well ventilated and there is no concerns about you overheating. I will be honest and say that I have not run any real distance in these due to my training, the longest run being only around 8 miles but these have plenty more miles in them and from experience I would see no problems up to a marathon.

So in summary another solid offer from Saucony which will keep the Kinvara die hards more than happy. Available in a multitude of colors in both men’s and women’s specific versions you can find these online for around $100
These shoes were provided free of charge by the good folks at Saucony. See previous gear reviews in the sidebar on the right. If you have a product you’d like reviewed, contact me at quadrathon@gmail.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.