Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Review; Mix 1

So a while, in fact a long while back the folks at Mix1 contacted me…you know how this goes! So usually I get one or two this time I got a case (part of the reason for the slowness) to review. And so on with the show, from their website:

…"we started mix1 with the following mission: to create the highest quality all-natural products that promote health, wellness and performance through truly functional nutrition. mix1 products deliver all-natural balanced nutrition with multiple benefits in a convenient way. We use the right balance of ingredients, at efficacious levels, to provide the maximum benefit to your body”.

The have a very good website with lots of mini videos of about a minute long, I really liked these series of pages which explain about the protein, carbs, fat etc there is also a blog; the latest post is a Leadville 100 race report from a member of their advisory board…that’s means someone who does what I do believes in this stuff! There is some FAQs and pages devoted their sponsored athletes, of which the really nice thing is most of them I have never heard of…i.e. they’re not the superstars who everyone wants to sponsor! Here a video from their YouTube site.

They’re on Twitter and Facebook where they have a contest to give away four cases every month! As you can see they are very social media savvy! Dig into the website and there’s a whole series on who works at the company etc, you can clearly see that they are all about the fun and don’t take themselves to seriously.

So how does it taste, well here’s the results:

Berry – strawberry flavored, not to sweet and not tart, smooth to swallow, really nice when chilled but not so good over ice?

Tangerine – sharp and a little tart but enough to make you want to drink more, thicker than OJ, really makes your taste buds pop

Blueberry & Vanilla – I am not a fan of blueberries (yeah hate me) but I found this to be a great base for using in the blender with frozen fruit to get that Jamba Juice style drink

Lime – my least favorite, lime is not really a drink flavor in my mind, it’s something that should be there in the background, this always tasted a bit off

Mango – want a hula dancer on your tongue, refreshing and clean flavored, I only got two bottles of this one and it was gone in a flash!

AntiOxidant Orange/Carrot – really drinkabale just like a think orange juice but with the sharpness from the carrot

AntiOxidant Dark Berry – my favorite, really berry flavored thick and luxurious, I mixed with ice in the blender to get a super chilled ice slushee!

They are all filling and tasty less the comments above, no bloating etc that I have had from other recovery drinks and this is how they position themselves. It’s not juice but a balanced recovery drink that happens to have a really good flavor…that’s a step up on some the competitors in my mind, I’ve written several times about the appalling flavor of some recovery drinks. All in all a thumbs up.

Available on line through their website with an Amazon checkout you can get a case (12 bottles) for between $20-25 depending on flavor, now the beauty of Amazon is that you can pre order multiple packs and save 15% and get free shipping so it nets out at $1.63 a bottle rather than the usual $2.00 per bottle you would see in a store.

Finally a big thank you to Mix1 for supplying this product to test.

These products were provided free of charge by Mix1. See previous gear reviews in the sidebar on the right. If you have a product you’d like reviewed, contact me at quadrathon@gmail.com.